Wills & Estates
Mental Health Orders
Weapons Carry License
|Laurens County Probate
Mental Health Evaluation Orders.
Please be advised that the probate court cannot commit anyone or force anyone into treatment. The probate court is able to issue an Order to Apprehend for an individual that is in need of a mental health evaluation.
Please note that if a person is currently in jail or in the hospital, the probate court, will not intervene because the law enforcement office/ or a licensed doctor can also request a mental health evaluation.
Process and requirements
- Two adults over the age of 18 that have witnessed the behavior of an individual within the last 48 hours must physically come together to petition the Court for the evaluation.
- The witnesses must attest to the fact that the said individual is a mentally ill person, an alcoholic or is drug dependent, presents a substantial risk of imminent harm to him or others, and that this individual needs involuntary treatment.
- The said individual must physically be in Laurens County and you MUST know their address.
- The Sheriff’s deputy will pick the individual up within 7 days (before expiration) of the witnesses bring the application to the Laurens Co. Sheriff’s Office. And, deliver the individual to Community Mental Health in Dublin GA for a mental health evaluation.
- After the person is delivered for evaluation, the staff at the facility determines whether or not the person requires treatment.